lesson 3: w/g
learning intention: to be able to recognise the usefulness of estimation and rounding to check calculations.
Google Earth – Find Australia
Compare and discuss the size of Victoria.
challenge: to use rounding as a strategy when estimating.
-Open up Gmail and find ‘Estimation and Rounding challenge’. Open in ‘Numbers’ App
– estimate the population of Victoria
– find the population of Victoria
– now round the actual population.
– estimate the population of each other State and Territory using the data on Victoria to help
– estimate the population of Australia using the data gained
– find out the actual population for each state and territory
– round each
– find the actual population of Australia and then round in box
Answer in your maths books:
1. Did I use rounding to help with my estimation? If yes, what did I round to?
2. Did rounding help me to estimate close to the actual population?
3. How could I use rounding and estimation in the future?